Wednesday, September 27, 2006
  You want the truth or the lie?
It was so beautiful in Victoria today. Shorts and T-shirt weather. I have a lovely burn on my face and shoulders, but I'm certainly not complaining...it's good to have some nice weather because I've been informed that it will start raining soon. So, I'm two weeks in, I feel at home and am excited that I'm starting to finally think straight. I feel like I have vision for so many things... but I constantly need to go to prayer and remind myself that I'm here for one year and that I'm one person. Right now I'm totally just asking God how He wants me to spend my time. I'm really being given a lot of opportunity to explore who I am as a "Godbearer (an evangelist)" in these next few weeks. I had two weeks to walk the streets with Rick and see how he interacts with the kids.. but now I'm working more independently.


Today started out pretty slow. It was a little scary at first..Rick is kinda like my "security." All of the kids know him and they associate me with him. Today I went out on my own so my "safety net" totally felt pulled away. I walked around for a bit.. and was actually starting to get a little discourage because I couldn't even find any of the kids. I went to all the "spots" and there was no one. I think the crazy hot weather must have played a part in the "relocation" of a lot of the kids today. Anways.. just as I was about to give up I spotted a man, not a teen and I pulled up a piece of curb next to him. His name was "Red." Red was almost fifty and has been on the streets most of his life. When I first walked by he asked me for fifty cents. I sat down beside him and asked him what he needed it for. Red said "You want the truth or the lie first?"...
I laughed at him and asked for the truth. Red honestly said that he needed to go buy wine to celebrate with his friend.. (he was only fifty cents short). I said I couldn't give him fifty cents for wine but I did have some granola bars in my book bag. So I sat on the curb on the busiest street in Victoria and ate granola bars. Then Red goes, "They call me knitter man."
I was like, "oh yeah...????"
So he whips out this scarf he's knitting for the winter (it's beautiful I might add) and begins to knit. Now I'm sitting on the busiest curb in Victoria eating granola bars with a homeless knitter. It's a beautiful sight.
Then Red goes, "You wanna learn?" Beautiful. I learned how to knit today. I've wanted to learn how to knit for a long time..and the one person that had all the patience and time and confidence in me was the homeless man.
I have a new friend.
 
Comments:
that's awesome. God is sooo good!
 
i have tears in my eyes. that is the most beautiful thing i've heard in a long while..
 
Very beautiful... I am so glad to hear stories like this. Wish I was there with you.
Miss you.
 
Wow that is amazing!! I just learned how to knit this year as well. Hilary has taught me. Man you are so blessed where you are right now.
 
Erin, that was truly a wonderful story! Thanks so much for sharing it. It makes me wish I was there with you. It sounds like such an exciting job! I am so happy for you & I am praying for you...
 
oh my goodness!!! ....thank you for sharing that. wow
 
:) Oh goodness. I admire your courage for being able to talk to someone like that, good things come from it. I know that it would have taken a lot for me to do the same thing. God bless you! He's leading you to people Erin, oh dear!

<3
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
The more I learn...the less I know...

"...we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us." Romans 5:3-5

My Photo
Name:
Location: Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

I'm a Second Year Student with the Church Army in Canada. I'm interning with Street†Hope, a ministry to street kids in Victoria BC.

TAYLOR COLLEGE BLOGS
  • Christian
  • Hilary
  • Jessie
  • Kim
  • Marc
  • Reed
  • Susan
  • CHURCH ARMY BLOGS
  • Bonnie
  • Catherine
  • Chris
  • Dave
  • Gray
  • Jonathan
  • Jen B
  • Jen H
  • Paul
  • Shawn the Great
  • RANDOM PEOPLE
  • Adam
  • Andrew
  • Ben
  • Chad
  • Chris & Anissa
  • Courtney
  • David
  • Eli
  • Heather
  • Jamie & Marie-Hélène
  • Jen F
  • Jen W
  • Jordan
  • Karen
  • Kristen
  • Kristy
  • Marie-Hélène
  • Marli
  • Micah & Katie
  • Nat & Naomi
  • Nick
  • Priscilla
  • Rose
  • Skyy
  • TC
  • LINKS
  • Church Army
  • Street†Hope Victoria
  • TEC NB
  • Taylor College
  • Threshold Housing Society
  • ARCHIVES
    February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / March 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / October 2007 /


    Powered by Blogger