Saturday, October 28, 2006
 
I got to try something new tonight. There's a ministry in town called Cart's. It's run by two sisters and they have like five huge wagons and a bunch of carts. Every Friday night the two sisters and about ten volunteers gather in a parking lot and load the wagons up with sandwhiches, hot chocolate, juice, fruit, blankets, socks, yoguart and whatever else happens to be donated and then they hit the streets. It's an awesome sight to see, a train of wagons and people giving out food to homeless people. They have a specific route that they take every week and most people will try and be at a certain location at a certain time so they don't miss out. We hit up the needle exchange (heroin addicts), streetlink (an emergency shelter), the train station (where quite a few people sleep), and other busy streets. It was huge for me to see the difference between day time street life and night time street life. This is only the second night I'd been downtown after five o'clock. I saw one of the frequent shoebox streetkids passed out on the street. The medics were standing beside trying to ask him questions while they waited for the paddy wagon. I stopped and chatted and told them his name. They asked about medical conditions and if I knew his drug preference. I don't know what his deal was.. but needless to say it'll be a few days before I see my friend D_____ again. So yeah.. night time is crazy, Carts was fun, I got to call 911 twice. We witnessed a street brawl, one kid jumped another and then started smashing him with his skateboard. He got arrested. Turned the corner, was talking to a homeless man and he started to have a seizure.. good times. He was drunk and diabetic. Woooooooo

God is totally ruining me. I constantly smell pot, my hands always feel dirty...but yet I am super broken. I was watching this man seizure on the street tonight- Two of the people sat with him while I talked to 911 and then the man started to cry...dang it! My heart broke. This man is like 60, addicted to probably everything going, has had a miserable life and I'm watching him seize on the street...Oh God, couldn't you change this man's life?!

I read Jackie Pullinger's "Chasing the Dragon" the whole way home and cried between chapters... how the heck do I bring hope to such a broken, miserable world?
 
Comments:
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Hey Erin,

I hear your heart. Moncton is nothing on Vancouver, but I am often overwhelmed by the many souls that need to know Jesus. I don't think it is a bad thing to feel God's heart for the lost. It certainly hurts though.

Just a thought to keep in mind, we know some people here who run a teen challenge center (David Wilkerson ministry). It's for men of all ages and they have them all over the place. You might want to look one up in the area. They specialize in helping drug and alcohol addicts and helping them realize that Jesus is the cure. Just thought I would throw that out there. God Bless, I love reading about your ministry days. Micah
 
Hey,
Sounds like you're on quite the ride out there. I pray that God would continue to break your heart... it sucks, but we need it.
I'm in the beginning of a renovation period... I am scared. hahaha
I'm excited for the reno to be done though.
 
Hey Erin,

It's amazing how parallel our experiences have been since leaving college. I read Chasing the Dragon last month and it wrecked me too. I cried and pleaded with God to let us minister out of His miracle working power in Abbotsford too. I think it's coming, but I'm not out of the desert yet. God's still got some vine dressing to do.

Bless you.
 
Hey Erin,

I read a poem and I thought of you and what you've been up too.....

"I Sought Him in the flowers and trees and Nature's myriad forms; I listened for His whisper in the silence and the storms-In solitudes of mountain crags, of moors and hills and downs....I tracked His footsteps through the dew away from men and towns.
I sought in vain, until at last, with torn and bleeding feet-I stumbled, blind with tears, into a dark and sordid street-Forgetful of my quest, I paused to do some little deed; an act, not worth the telling-but it met another's need....And suddenly, I saw Him-He was in that human press-with hands outstretched as if to heal, to comfort and to bless....Is this where He reveals Himself? Is this was Love demands? Not dreams-but active pity, and the service of our hands?"

It' not meant to be a secular humanist "let's help people" thing, but I genuinely think that we start to meet God when we start to do outreach. God is Love right? : ) God Bless, Micah.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
The more I learn...the less I know...

"...we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us." Romans 5:3-5

My Photo
Name:
Location: Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

I'm a Second Year Student with the Church Army in Canada. I'm interning with Street†Hope, a ministry to street kids in Victoria BC.

TAYLOR COLLEGE BLOGS
  • Christian
  • Hilary
  • Jessie
  • Kim
  • Marc
  • Reed
  • Susan
  • CHURCH ARMY BLOGS
  • Bonnie
  • Catherine
  • Chris
  • Dave
  • Gray
  • Jonathan
  • Jen B
  • Jen H
  • Paul
  • Shawn the Great
  • RANDOM PEOPLE
  • Adam
  • Andrew
  • Ben
  • Chad
  • Chris & Anissa
  • Courtney
  • David
  • Eli
  • Heather
  • Jamie & Marie-Hélène
  • Jen F
  • Jen W
  • Jordan
  • Karen
  • Kristen
  • Kristy
  • Marie-Hélène
  • Marli
  • Micah & Katie
  • Nat & Naomi
  • Nick
  • Priscilla
  • Rose
  • Skyy
  • TC
  • LINKS
  • Church Army
  • Street†Hope Victoria
  • TEC NB
  • Taylor College
  • Threshold Housing Society
  • ARCHIVES
    February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / March 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / October 2007 /


    Powered by Blogger