Friday, August 24, 2007
  Reflection
I posted a blog earlier in the week asking some questions about "Self promotion" and "Are you a controlling person?" Although my reflections were completley honest, I've deleted them until I can edit them into a more "sensitive" format. I think we as the Church sometimes neglect asking ourselves the harder questions. It hurts to sometimes find out who we really are. Thankfully there's grace and we're all on a journey. Anyways this isn't the point of this blog. That's just a little background information. I've been reflecting on "Self promotion" and "control" for a few months now asking myself questions...recognizing that when I'm free of the need to be accredited for my good deeds I can be a way more effective person for the Kingdom.

A verse that is probably familiar to many (especially if you go to Taylor College) is "It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, 12 to prepare God's people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up" (Ephesians 4:11-12...my emphasis added)

So a definition from these verses of evangelist (and in this case apostle and prophet) is "one who prepares God's people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up."
The requirement of an evangelist is basically to get other people ready and encourage them to go out.

See if you can follow me..

Scene 1

Evan the Evangelist- Hey Deb. You should come on an outreach that we're doing.

Doubting Deb- What kind of an outreach?

Evan the Evangelist- We're going to go into the park uptown and feed some of the homeless. We might give away blankets and dry socks. You should really come.

Doubting Deb- Noo.. I don't think I would be good at that. I'm always messing up when I talk to people and I wouldn't know what to say.

Evan the Evangelist- You don't even have to say a thing.

Doubting Deb- Well...

Evan the Evangelist- You can stay with me the whole time. I'll bring the baskets of food. Meet you at 4?

Doubting Deb- Sounds good.

Scene 2

Passionate Pete- Hey Cory I heard that on Saturday mornings you have a bible study going on for street youth. I was wondering if maybe I could come along sometime and you could introduce me to some of your friends.

Controlling Cory- Wellll...my bible study is only for street youth.

Passionate Pete- I wouldn't get the way. Maybe I could bring pizza or something?

Controlling Cory- My mother makes homemade soup for us each week. We probably won't be needing anymore food.

Controlling Cory- Have you ever led a bible study?

Passionate Pete- No. I'd really like to learn how. Maybe you could show me how you do it?

Controlling Cory- The last person I let lead with no experience made a lot of mistakes. They really weren't adequate.

Passionate Pete-Well maybe I could just hang out with the kids. Call me if you ever change your mind.


True Evangelists are people who yes share the good news of Jesus but are people who also sit on the sidelines and cheer you on, "Yes! you can do it.. you can suceed! I will be praying for you. Even when you make a mistake I will be there to help you get up again."

"So that the body of Christ may be built up"....not down.
 
Comments:
I hear ya Erin, and this is a daily struggle in todays church with the 'title' of evangelist- and I'm experiencing it first hand already at my church.

When you have the title 'Parish Evangelist' plastered on you, all of a sudden there seems to be expectations. One being that you 'bring people into the church'. and this is fine and all, but whose to say that it is now ONLY the parish Evangelists job to do that.

In the anglican church I serve at, I look to break down the percieved idea of an evangelist and empower people into while on the side just being a raw, transparent example : "Yes! you can do it.. you can suceed! I will be praying for you." ...

essentially, living the Gospel and realizing these words for the lost:
'i HEAR, i forget
i SEE, i remember
i do, i understand'
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
The more I learn...the less I know...

"...we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us." Romans 5:3-5

My Photo
Name:
Location: Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

I'm a Second Year Student with the Church Army in Canada. I'm interning with Street†Hope, a ministry to street kids in Victoria BC.

TAYLOR COLLEGE BLOGS
  • Christian
  • Hilary
  • Jessie
  • Kim
  • Marc
  • Reed
  • Susan
  • CHURCH ARMY BLOGS
  • Bonnie
  • Catherine
  • Chris
  • Dave
  • Gray
  • Jonathan
  • Jen B
  • Jen H
  • Paul
  • Shawn the Great
  • RANDOM PEOPLE
  • Adam
  • Andrew
  • Ben
  • Chad
  • Chris & Anissa
  • Courtney
  • David
  • Eli
  • Heather
  • Jamie & Marie-Hélène
  • Jen F
  • Jen W
  • Jordan
  • Karen
  • Kristen
  • Kristy
  • Marie-Hélène
  • Marli
  • Micah & Katie
  • Nat & Naomi
  • Nick
  • Priscilla
  • Rose
  • Skyy
  • TC
  • LINKS
  • Church Army
  • Street†Hope Victoria
  • TEC NB
  • Taylor College
  • Threshold Housing Society
  • ARCHIVES
    February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / March 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / October 2007 /


    Powered by Blogger